Thierry Henry says France can win Euro 2020 but warns Cristiano Ronaldo will wish to go out on a high in what would be his last global tournament
- Thierry Henry states France can win UEFA Euro 2020 due to the fact that of its strength in depth, however will deal with stiff competitors from Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal.
- Ronaldo, 34, captained his nation to European splendor in 2016, nevertheless next summer season’s tournament might be his last.
- ” Can they? Of course they can,” Henry told Business Insider when asked if France can win the competitors. “[But] I don’t think that Ronaldo is going to want to let it go.”
- France simply need to beat Moldova on November 14 to protect its place at Euro 2020, having lost just one of its eight certifying games so far.
- ” Mbappe wasn’t available for a great deal of games in the qualifiers, and Giroud appears. And sometimes it’s Griezmann, or sometimes it’s Kingsley Coman,” Henry stated. “So that’s how you win a tournament, and that’s how you win video games, when everybody is on tune.”
- Check Out more of our soccer coverage here.
- Go to Organisation Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Thierry Henry says France will deal with difficult competitors if it is to win the European Championships in 2020, particularly from Cristiano Ronaldo, who will desire to go out on a high at what might be his last ever international competition.
France are favorites to lift the prize next summer, having won the World Cup in 2016 and therefore far breezed Group H certifying, losing simply among its eight video games and scoring 21 goals.
Needs to Les Bleus win the competitors, it would be the second time in history it has won the World Cup and European Championships back-to-back– Henry becoming part of the sides that accomplished that amazing accomplishment in 1998 and 2000.
To do so however, would indicate removing Ronaldo of the title he captained Portgual to in 2016, which Henry admits will be no easy task.
” Can they? Of course they can,” Henry told Organisation Expert when asked if the existing crop of French gamers can match the accomplishments of the 1998 to 2000 class.
” But today Portugal are the holders, and I do not believe that [Cristiano] Ronaldo is going to wish to let it go.
” Spain are going to want to return, Italy, Holland are doing very well, although they are still not there yet. Belgium, I’m sure are going to want to remove what happened at the World Cup. So it’s really challenging to call that one out.
” Can they? Of course they can. They have the quality to do that for sure.”
Henry states France’s strength in depth sets the team apart
France national group manager Didier Deschamps has a seemingly unlimited supply line of talent across all positions at his disposal to select from.
Manchester City defender Aymeric Laporte, Arsenal forward Alexandre Lacazette, and Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema were simply a few of the high profile names excluded of the World Cup winning squad of2018
In qualifying this time around, other big names have once again been omitted– the most significant being Paris Saint-Germain super star Kylian Mbappe, who was sidelined for over a month with two different injuries.
Henry, who is the brand name ambassador for Euro 2020’s official beer, Heineken, says such high-end is what ultimately sets his nation apart.
” What I like with that group is that clearly you have guys like [Olivier] Giroud, [Paul] Pogba, [Antoine] Griezmann, Mbappe, that you expect to shine, because that’s what they do,” he said.
” However it’s a group effort. And what I’ve seen from them at the World Cup was they won that tournament as a group. They’re winning video games as a group in the qualifiers. For example, Mbappe wasn’t available for a lot of video games in the qualifiers, and Giroud appears. And in some cases it’s Griezmann, or often it’s Kingsley Coman.
” So that’s how you win a tournament, which’s how you win games, when everyone is on tune.”
France next handle Moldova on November 14, where a win would suffice to seal its place at the World Cup next summertime.